Subject: RE: [Leica] quiet cameras in cathedrals?
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 13:48:04 +0100

Bob,
Yes of course I've enjoyed pictures like those you say, but the difference
is that most of these scenarios would have been agreed beforehand. Furtive,
surreptitious photography is unlikely to win any favours with the
organisers of these events. Certainly events like the funerals of Diana and
Kennedy are state occassions where one expects coverage, it must be hard
for the close relatives involved to consider them as personal acts of
worship.
One could argue that ceremonies in public spaces are 'fair game' but I
doubt that many participants would see it that way.

And for your druid ceremony, are you planning to ask permission in advance?

I've spent the last 8 years working in religious environments (including
pagan) and never once considered taking pictures of people without asking.
Of an empty church or deserted sacred site, sure, but where is common
decency, sensitivity and politeness?

Jem