Subject: Re: [Leica] Forbes article on mechanical wristwatches
From: Dante Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 23:07:20 -0400 (EDT)

I have a 1998 Swatch Automatic that runs on an Eterna 2xxx 23-jewel
caliber (I don't have it in front of me, but I was shocked when I read
through an Italian watch book showing all of the calibers and what they
went in), which is the same one used in lot of Omegas and other SMH group
watches. Only difference is that the Swatch has a clear plastic case and
ran (when they made them) $80.  The Omega mechanicals start at over
$1,000.  What's in a name?!  The Swiss must be laughing their asses off.

I do have a real Omega, too.

Lots of cool moving parts, but you end up setting both every week.  The
standard variance for mechanicals, or so I read, as +/- fifteen seconds
per day.  That's a hell of a lot when you compare it to +/- 30 sec/month
with a one-dollar Japanese quartz movement.  But nothing beats a good 5hz
mechanical tick.

BTW: how many people on this thread know that the crappy Swatch quartz was
what bailed SMH (the Swiss watch consortium) out in the mid-80s?  It was
designed to be a high-profit subsidizing line.  Pretty ironic.

Replies: Reply from "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com> (Re: [Leica] Forbes article on mechanical wristwatches)