Subject: RE: [Leica] Optimal Portrait Lenses
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 21:32:28 -0400

Hi Tom,

> Another alternative ;-)! However, I don't care for the later EOS
> camera bodies................cluttered viewfinders.  All those focusing
> points ;-)!  I much prefer the R8 ( plain ground glass ) & w/AF the
> F100 viewfinder. Picky....picky, I know ;-)!
>
> My greatest fear is just that; i.e, for me, autofocus is really just a
> novelty. However, I like being able to quickly capture "candids"
> with my F100/85 f1.8 &180 f2.8 lenses.
>
> I just not quick enough with manual focus :-( !

I know how you feel.  I've been researching portrait lenses in the SLR world
for some time and have narrowed the field to your choices plus the following
Canon EOS choices: the 85/1.2L (fast chunk of glass), the new 100/2.8 USM
macro (nice to have a portrait lens that can also focus down to 1:1), and
the fabulous 135/2L (superb optics and a nice length for portraits (IMO)).

Don't dismiss the EOS line quite so quickly; I tried both the F100 coupled
with the 85/1.4 AF nikkor and the EOS 1v with the 100/2.8 macro in a local
shop a couple weeks ago.  Though I am in complete agreement with your
opinions on the two finders (love that F100!), I found in practice that the
full-time manual focus ability of the EOS USM lens was much more convenient
to use than having to turn the AF/MF switch back and forth on the Nikkor
lens.

I like the ability to relegate AF on the EOS bodies to the * button and have
it when needed, manually focusing all other times (to tweak, or when time
permits).  That way, AF is a tool that's available when needed, not just a
feature that's in the way when the novelty wears off. :)

And you can reduce the cluttered focusing points to a manageable 11 or 9 (or
just 1 central point).

My .02,
Dan