Subject: [Leica] My last word on RF? Hardly.
From: "Dances_with Leicas" <m6ttl72@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 14:19:50 GMT

Somebody Said,

>Is a camera that might force Leica to compete more intensely in an open
>marketplace really that bad? It seems that those who believe in the one
> >true Leica think so.

  Zealots will be Zealots, and there is nothing that you can do about that.
Let them believe what they want to believe.

That aside, I will reiterate that where I shop, every time someone has come
in for a Hexar, they have bought a new M6. There have been the same three
Hexar kits sitting there since they arrived. I am not using this to pass
judgment on the Hexar, as it is a neat camera, but merely to illustrate that
here, (Denver) the Hexar is not competition. I can think of a different shop
where they have the hexar, but haven't sold any yet.

Now imagine for a second if the Hexar were really the Leica "M-E".

(Firstly, this is rumored to have been a possibility before someone in leica
management got cold feet and decided to make more commeratives...
Secondly, how on earth could the rangefinder be so identical without some
Leica help...
It just seems too similar not to have a 'second shooter on the grassy knoll'
to really stretch a analogy...)

If this "M-E" said Leica and were made in japan, not unlike the CL, I would
be sure that the same Zealots would defame it anyway. Many people would laud
it and run out and buy it, but the Zealot freaks would complain about the
EBL being too small, and wonder why there are not 24mm lines in it, and
gripe about the build quality and so forth and so on... "It's not a real M"
they would cry! Precisely what the Zealots have been doing for all time.
Complainers will complain. Thinkers will think. Konica or Leica has nothing
to do with it.

Just my $.02

(Although that last comment will probably get another derogatory 'cheap'
comment by Dante again...)

;)
jim

Jim Tiemann