Subject: Re: [Leica] Hexar RF and the M6
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 19:42:34 -0700

goldman@math.umn.edu wrote:

> Mark Rabiner wrote:
> I can't see how someone so into all these modern whizz bang unessary
> feature
> would want to be on a list with a bunch of M6 users.
> The M6 a famously classic bare bones exquisite picture taking tool. (hand
> held!
> Wow! small film!)
> Smells like a troll if you ask me!
>  ----------------------------------------
>         I agree Mark.  When are you giving up the modern whizz bang meter
> on the M6 and going to an M4?   Then give up the modern whizz bang
> automatic exposure counter of an M4 and use an M2.  Or go all the way and
> give up the modern whizz bang rangefinder and use a Leica A.
>         If you like to use an M6, that1s just great.  But why do you and
> some others on the LUG act threatened when someone chooses to use their
> Leica lenses on another rangefinder camera?  Do you feel the same way
> about people who use the modern whizz bang R8?
> Jay Goldman

M4 vs M3 vs M6? Vs M2 vs R8? certainly all viable subjects.
I'll admit to having to effrontery to value a meter in my camera and I think the
M6 is the cat's meow. But I'd respect someone who shot with an M3 that's for
sure. There's plenty to Leica engineering, design and experience other that
which hand your meter is in.
But throwing up an consumer Japanese camera with none of the the Leica value
system put in shows a lack of sensitivity to the issues at hand. Lieca issues.
There is no reason to own and use a Leica if you don't' know what it is or
appreciate it is there? It doesn't have all the modern features in it does it.
The new N1 has focus bracketing, not just exposure bracketing can't live with
out that can we?. You also get to look through the lens!!!.
But The R8 is a credit to Leica and I personally could easily get into it. At
first for macro use, a 60 and or 100 macro and than for the 180. But knowing me
I'd want a 50 down the road. The R8 a worthy machine next to an M6. Sharing the
same camera bag for sure!
Mark W. Rabiner
:)