Subject: RE: [Leica] Shooting in Europe
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 10:52:12 +0100

i've hauled my leica gear (m6, 24, 35/2, 50/2, 90/2.8) all over europe,
carrying it in a domke satchel or little bit smaller bag. i take it with me
every time i hit the streets and never leave anything in hotels (otherwise
why bring it at all?). i've shot in good and bad parts of towns during the
day and at night, in crowded streets, subways and alleys, in museums and it
abandonned buildings, and i've *never* had a problem. no one has ever
approached/threatened/robbed or even hassled me about my gear or about
taking pictures.

that said, i am cautious in potentially dangerous places (poorly lit
streets in bad parts of town, subway corridors at night, crowded public
transportation, etc.), and try to be discrete when taking pictures in
public. i don't run around with cameras dangling from my neck, tripods
strapped to my back, or other material that will mark me as a tourist
photographer. i keep my m6 on wrist strap in my right hand and my lenses in
the bag, switching them whenever and wherever necessary. no one has ever
bugged me.

now that i've written this, however, i'll probably get mugged on my next trip.

guy