Subject: Re: [Leica] Using Kodachrome 64
From: "john weller" <>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 16:28:03 GMT

Hi Bob,

     Could you let me know where, and when Steve McCurry is doing his book
signing?  Like you, I also like Steve's work; it would be really great to
meet him in person!  Does Steve McCurry use Leica cameras?  Some friends
have said yes, and others say he uses Nikon...

>From: "Bob Walkden" <>
>Subject: Re: [Leica] Using Kodachrome 64
>Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 12:59:42 BST
>lucky guy - Steve McCurry is one of my favourites. He's doing a book
>here in London in a fortnight, but unfortunately I'll miss it because I'm
>flying off to exotic climes to emulate him :-)
>I've shot a lot of K64. For a couple of years I used to rate it at 80 in
>camera, but process at 64. This is often recommended by travel
>photographers. I've stopped doing it though because it increases the
>contrast in the slides. K64 is quite a contrasty film anyway, and the
>conditions in which I was shooting were also very high contrast, namely the
>Ethiopian Highlands, which means bright sunlight at over 5000 metres
>altitude. I also used a polariser, which increased the contrast still
>further. Many of the people there have extremely dark skin, and frequently
>wear a white gabbi (similar to a burnoose), so many of my slides were
>back with a far higher contrast & saturation than I really wanted.
>The lesson is, decide based on the local conditions whether or not you want
>to underexpose your K64. Experimentation beforehand pays.
>>From: Doug Nygren <>
>>Over the weekend, I was talking with Steve McCurry, the National
>>Geographic photographer who shoots a lot for them in India and points
>>east. He said he shoots with Kodachrome 64 (ie. shot at 80) and
>>underexposes by a third of a stop so that colors are more saturated. I
>>do the opposite with color negative film, but I never play with ASA in
>>transparency film. I'm going to have to experiment with this and see how
>>it goes. Do any of you shoot your transparency film at slower ASA, do
>>you slightly underexpose for color saturation?
>Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at

Replies: Reply from John Coan <> (Re: [Leica] Using Kodachrome 64)