Subject: Re: [Leica] Susan Sontag
From: "Bob Walkden" <bobwalkden@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 21:02:25 BST

Hi,

once again I would like to recommend David Hurn and Bill Jay's book "On
Being a Photographer", in which they comment on, among other things, the
value of photographic theory and criticism in very clear and concise
language.

You can get a taster from Myth No. 7, here:

http://www.phototechmag.com/previous-articles/apr-myths.htm

In essence they say:

"One: when critical theory is taught prior to, or simultaneously with, the
making of images. In this case, critical theory is not only useless, it is
also positively dangerous. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the
production of fine photographs. [...]

Two: when critical theory is taught after the images have been made or about
other photographers’ works. In this case, critical theory can be an
enjoyable way of stretching the mind, if the critic is capable of thinking
clearly and expressing him- or herself with concise, vivid prose. [...]"

Cheers,

Bob