Archived posting to the Leica Users Group, 2000/09/08[Author Prev] [Author Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Author Index] [Topic Index] [Home] [Search]
I'm just guessing here, and I'm an easy person to correct, but it seems to me that there's much more mercury in a standard flourescent light bulb than in any weensy mercury battery, and we (meaning society) dumps far more of those tubes in the trash than we do spent batteries. Dan C. At 08:03 AM 08-09-00 -0400, Buzz Hausner wrote: >Trust me, Hans-Peter, mercury is one very nasty environmental contaminant, >it is extremely toxic in even small doses and it may be both ingested in its >liquid form and inhaled as a vapor. EU and US regulators were unusually >wise in banning the production of mercury batteries. They were not being >capriciously mean to devotees of old photographic equipment.