Subject: [Leica] IIIf's from Minox!!!?!!!!?!!
From: Photovilla@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 00:21:32 EDT

<<<

Paul Chefurka wrote:

> When I was ordering the new 28, my dealer told me he's going to be getting

> in some new ur-Leicas as well as some new IIIf's from Minox.  Back to the

> Future!

> Paul

MarkWR>>>

Just to set the record strait:

NO dealer really knows when the lens you mention will be available. It is
sure that it will come out, but when is really just a vague idea right now
despite what some may say.

I, for one, decided not to take any pre-orders on something that could be
months (and months and months) away.

Remember the 90APO availability? You might want to rethink shelling out a lot
of money for a lens that could be a long time away.

This is NOT like the LHSA black paint cameras that are just around the
corner... BTW, I HOPE that this lens and other goods are also just around the
corner, I just wouldn't want to claim that they are without knowing for sure.

As far as the Minox IIIf, this is a 1:3 scale IIIf that shoots Minox film. It
will be priced at about $400 and I hear we will see it very soon. It is in
fact made by a Japanese company as Jim Brick has said, but I don't think that
was the name of the company in the Leica release to dealers. It is in fact a
camera...but not a 35mm one for sure! I would agree that it might be called a
"toy" but a fun toy at that...

Really, I am not supposed to talk about it...but I figure some limited info.
is better than a lot of mis-info. I hope Leica agrees with me and I'm sure
I'll find out.

And while we on the subject of "mis-info" they are NOT making a new UR Leica.

Instead they are releasing a slightly modernized "Null Series Leica" with
updated Anistigmat lens and film handling. (you can look up the original one
in Lager or Saturious) About 4000 will be made and it will stick very close
to the original of which only 31 or so were made.

These are also something that any reputable dealer shouldn't really be taking
orders on -as who knows when the real delivery date will be???  ...and with
an estimated price of $2500 per set I don't think I would want to hand over
my money when dates of Leica gear can be so sketchy.

Folks, trust me when I tell you, when it is more or less certain that these
goods will be available in a reasonable period of time...I'll be the first to
post that I am taking orders from my LUG friends.

Be suspicious of dealers who take orders that occur long before outfits such
as Tamarkin, Sammy's Camera, Kurland Photo, B&H and myself start accepting
money. There are reasons these reputable shops haven't started accepting
orders...no one has any special "inside" track in getting these things first.
This I am sure of...

Just my .02. Please don't have a cow if you disagree.

later,
Rich