Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Optimal Portrait Lenses
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 17:52:16 EDT

In a message dated 9/6/00 4:53:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time, pklein@2alpha.net
writes:

<< What about some of the other LTM 85/90mm rangefinder alternatives? Canon
 85/1.8, 1.9 or 2.0?  Nikkor 85/2?  Russian Jupiter-9 85/2?    Anybody
 use these?   >>

I had an 85/2 Nikkor I used for a number of years, until I was able to get
the 85/1.8 Canon, which I found to be clearly superior.  Remember, however,
that these designs were not manufactured to present day quality control
standards (no computers), so that some variation may exist from sample to
sample.  In my view, any of these should outperform, but not necessarily
produce a more pleasing portrait than, a 90 coated Elmar.  The Nikkor, along
with the earlier Canons, should be easier to find, particularly in chrome.
I have also used the 1.9 Serenar, which I would rank a bit below the Nikkor,
the 85/2 Zeiss, about equal to the Nikkor, and both the older f/4 and newer
3.5 Canon 100's, which are quite good.  The best 100 I have used would be the
latest (black) model.  I have not tried the "legendary" 100/2.  I stopped
looking for one after seeing the performance of the 85/2.
I would suggest reading what Steve Gandy has to say. Go to:

www.cameraquest.com/tmlens.htm

Joe Sobel