Subject: [Leica] New Canon optical lens design
From: "Anderson, Ferrel E" <AndersonF@ria.army.mil>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 13:27:21 -0500

Leica was assessing the use of this type of lens element 10 years ago to
accomplish what Canon says their lens will do.  The Leica engineer I talked to
worked at Leitz Canada.  He stated that the problem with this type of lens is
flare, and that until the flare problem is resolved this approach is not
feasible for camera optics.  It looks as though Canon has resolved this beast,
and might have made a real advance in camera optics.  But at what cost?

The same engineer also told me that they were working on a 24mm lens for the
Leica M!  It follows then, that they will announce a diffractive lens element
design in about 2 years!

Another interesting aside is that the Leica optical design shops in Canada and
Wetzlar were directed to submit competing designs for desired lenses, and that
the winner got to produce their design.

Ferrel Anderson