Subject: Re: [Leica] German Lenses Vs. Non-German Films
From: Dante A Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 07:42:16 -0400

It's a fair bet that if the American and Japanese films can't do match Leica
resolution, no one can.

This was the subject of a recent post by Erwin Puts, the upshot of which is
that at ISO 400 and over any advantages of Leica lenses tend to be cancelled by
the low resolution of the film.

Under ISO 400 the films are still beating the lenses, with ISO 100 films doing
well over 100 lp/mm and Tech Pan doing far more.

Here come the flaming arrows, but most people will never see Leica's advantages
due to weakness in other aspects of their displaying or printing (because they
lack things like glass mounts and carriers, use minilabs, or otherwise
introduce errors).  That's why the first step is to buy a Focamat or a Durst,
then the next step is to find a lens.  Of course if you see what even a "lousy"
Japanese 50mm can do with a good enlarger regime, you may not want to spring
for a Summicron.

Terry Sham wrote:

> I would like to know that isthe quality of the current Japanese and American
> films able to reflect the high quality of the Leica lenses. Is the lpi of
> the films higher than the lpi projected by Leica lenses?
>
> Sorry for my silly question, but I really misunderstand.
>
> Thanks
>
> Terry Sham

Dante Stella
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~dante