Subject: Re: [Leica] New Canon Optical Element Design
From: Vick Ko <vick.ko@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 06:59:02 -0400

It is a very clever design.  Note the first element on the "conventional"

lens design - a parallel protective glass.  Much like a UV filter.

Technologically, well within the realm of "yeah, it can be done" - but
likely very difficult to bring the costs within control.  I wonder
what the price would be.  (Ever wonder if it really costs 3x more
to make a Noctilux than it does to make a Summicron?)

By the way, my UV filter paid for itself yesterday - I put a lens
"face down" on a rock without noticing that I didn't have the lens
cap on.  Not a scratch, but I aged about a decade.

Vick