Subject: Re: Vs: [Leica] Re: Meaning of Angulon, Summicron, Summaron, Summitar, Summarex?
From: Javier Perez <summarex@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 17:44:49 -0400

Zeiss Schneider and I think Meyer and Steinheil***  named their lenses
for optical formula.
Leitz and some others though I don't know which
named them for max aperture

Summicron Summar F2
Summilux   F1.4
Elmar F4 - 4.5
Noctilux F1.2 or better
Elmarit 2.8 unless it's a 35 RF lens for some stupid reason.
etcetera

Unfortunately Leitz has never been stingent about this.
The 300 2.8 should have been an Apo-Elmarit not an Apo-Telyt

The Elmarit rule now sez
Because it was drawn from the sea
and was found not to be an RF 35 mm F2.8
It shall be called El-Mar-it
As long as it's F2.8
and not longer than 300mm
in which case it shall be called a Telyt
if it's an archomat or Apo-Telyt if it's an anpochromat.
regardless of it max aperture
And Unless it's 2.8 but vertically challenged in which case
it shall be called a Tele-Elmarit.
If it was meant to be an Elmarit but wasn't fast enough
then it shall be called an Elmar, unless it's really wide
in which case it gets a super in front of the Elmar
and it was being named on a tuesday
in which case the name defaults to Elmaron

Does this clarify things?

See Ya
Javier

*** not sure