Subject: [Leica] Re:eMILY cUTS hERSELF
From: Kyle Cassidy <cassidy@netaxs.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 17:04:30 -0400 (EDT)

>>i've posted a second emily gallery:
>>
>>http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/pix/goth/secret/

goodphotos noted:

>She seems to contain her mutilation to one forearm.

actually, she cuts herself where ever it's convenient -- she just happens
to be right handed, so most of them end up on her left arm. but she has
scars on her legs, feet, and breasts too.

all those flash reflection shots you mention i shot w/ the leica and a
vivitar flash, sometimes bounced, sometimes not. i tend to not be bothered
by it as it's on location and what can i do about it. (mary ellen
suggested i get an assistant to carry a second light to illuminate the
background. that was my next thought.) i've tried one of those mini
softboxes, and i've tried bouncing w/ an index card, but sometimes i just
like the simplicity of a dead-on flash shot.

(one aside -- when i was shooting there, this guy comes up to me and says
"i just want to tell you i'm an american indian and my religion forbids my
being photographed. in fact, tribal honor would require that i actually
scalp you. i just wanted you to know. if you have to take a picture, just
let me know and i'll move away." -- he had a really strong south philly
accent and was completely dead serious. though i don't think he was an
american indian, he was an imposing figure and i refrained from
photographing him.)

kc