Subject: Re: [Leica] oh, Canada! OR a real 'real world' lens test
From: John Brownlow <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 14:48:53 -0400

on 31/8/00 2:18 pm, Dan Honemann at ddh@home.com wrote:

> Great stuff, Johnny, as usual.
>
> My favorites:
> 1, 4, 6, 8, 18

Thanks, Dan.

> Question: how on earth do you manage to grab candids as close as No. 19, for
> example, without the subject(s) looking at you?  Ten times out of ten, I try
> that shot--the subject looks at me before I can snap it.  Maybe I'm spending
> too much time focusing--but I'm fairly fast with that now.  I'd figure I
> could only get a shot like 19 by holding the camera up and snapping
> immediately before anyone knew what happened.

19 is a bit deceptive. It's actually on the 90. The figures crossing in
foreground make it look wider. I guess I was about 12-15 feet away.
Obviously with the 90 wide open you have to focus *very* carefully, and at
low shutter speeds you have to take your time. But the main thing is, and
this sounds like Zen probably, just becoming part of the crowd. Darkness
helps a lot as you can stay out of the light if you wish, in which case you
are essentially invisible to anyone *in* the light.

9 is obviously also a focus job (all these are in fact) and is also on the
90, at 1/30s. This was really one of those kick bollock scramble shots where
you just pray you got focus and were steady enough to hit the moment.

> I _can_ manage candids like nos. 2 & 7--where the subject's attention is
> distracted elsewhere.  But 19, or even 9--no way; I'm just not that quick.

Sometimes speed is of the essence, sure, but sometimes stillness is. I
swear, it's mostly mental. You act as if you were the fabled cloak of
invisibility, and a lot of times folks will treat you as if you *were*. How
comfortable *you* are directly influences how comfortable *they* are.

Here's one theory: people have exceptionally good peripheral vision and the
software that runs it is programmed to pick up threats and unusual
situations. I think it's particularly good at decoding body language, for
instance. Therefore if you are on the periphery of someone's vision your
*attitude* becomes absolutely key. The person probably won't realise you
have cameras or are pointing them, but they *will* pick up instantly if you
are awkward in your movements etc.

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com