Subject: RE: [Leica] budget m lens
From: Peterson Arthur G NSSC <PetersonAG@NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 13:00:11 -0400

Jim,

If you're choosing one lens, I'd recommend a 50mm Summicron, the later
(i.e., higher serial number) the better, except that the version before the
current one is optically identical to the current one, and preferable for
its better hood and cap arrangement (i.e., a detachable, reversible hood,
over which, when reversed, the cap fits, as opposed to the built in hood and
snap-on cap of the current version) and also for the "U" shaped focusing
finger tab on its focusing ring (no tab on the current version).

Black finish is not "harder to find," generally probably easier.

Hope that helps,

Art Peterson