Subject: RE: [Leica] New Leicas
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 10:23:19 +0100

Mark,
I understand that Leica designed the exterior of the camera and the
attention placed on the lens, compared to those which were obviously non
Leica lenses on previous compacts, suggests that these two aspects were
certainly under their close control, how much of the rest of the body of
the camera they're making I'm unsure.
I too am a little sad they've jumped onto the APS bandwagon as I agree with
your perspective that it has hardly been the great success the world was
waiting for.
I know that Minox have a line of APS cameras but whether they actually
produce them or have them made to their designs I'm unsure. It would seem
logical to let Minox produce the innards if they were capable of that,
though I'd have thought that Minox production might be even less volume
than Leica...

I share your interest in 1/2 frame, I had a Pen F, a Fujica Half 1.9 and
also a Pen W (Wide), I would have liked to have acquired a Leica 72 when I
saw one for sale back in 1979 (they were made in 1955), I could have almost
afforded it then! However I can't think that this would dramatically alter
the size of the camera unless new lenses were also designed for it, and one
could argue that they needn't be. Interesting to reflect back on the quote
from Stephan Daniels re: the C11, that the reason was to create an even
smaller (zoom lensed) camera.

Jem