Subject: Re: [Leica] tripod
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 14:06:37 EDT

In a message dated 8/30/00 11:54:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
res02bd8@gte.net writes:

<< It would be great to have a large stable tripod on the trail if it was easy
 to transport and carry to where the pictures are.  :>) >>

I once had an assortment of large and small tripods I had accumulated over a
period of years, including several medium to large Bogen (Manfrotto) models,
which are widely regarded as among the best all-around price performers.
After spending a half day in a photo shop comparing the integrity of various
units by setting them up, applying varying amounts of weight and attempting
to flex the legs and tip the tripods, I came to the inescapable conclusion
that the Gitzos were clearly the strongest, most rigid and most stable in
each size and capacity class, and virtually always lighter as well.  If you
find that added mass or weight is necessary for a given application, the
units are more than strong enough to handle a loaded camera bag or other
ballast slung underneath.  I even went so far as to buy a tripod with four
leg segments, in outright defiance of the conventional wisdom that so many
sections would compromise rigidity.  I have had no problems at all, except
that one instance in zero-degree weather when I inadvertantly tightened the
center column from underneath when I meant to loosen it.  What the hell...

Joe Sobel

Replies: Reply from "Bill Christensen" <billc@xsite.net> (Re: [Leica] tripod)