Subject: RE: [Leica] lens test
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 02:11:35 -0400

I understand why Dan is gun-shy about posting his latest test shots to this
list, and I'll respect his decision not to do so (and so won't post the link
myself), but I would encourage all who are interested to write him and get
it, because these are very carefully set-up shots (and numerous, at
different f-stops) answering all of the criticisms of the last tests and
more.

Here are my thoughts on the shots:

I find the following tests to be most revealing, all at f2.8, 1200 dpi:

Photo 3: Here the extra clarity/sharpness of the apo is evident in the
detail of the tree bark, but I actually prefer the out of focus area (bokeh)
of the te.

Photo 6: The 1200 dpi shows off the extra sharpness of the apo over the
te--it is quite evident here in the grain structure of the rocks (especially
the large rock in foreground on the left).

Photo 7: The better bokeh (slightly sharper out of focus area) in the tree
leaves of the te really stands out here in the left part of the 1200 dpi
image of the leaves.

Conclusion: yikes!  Who can decide?  The apo is clearly sharper, but I
(personally) much prefer the bokeh of the te.  A tough choice.

I'd be very interested in hearing opinions/perceptions of others.  Many
thanks to Dan C. for taking the time and trouble to conduct these tests.

Dan H.