Subject: [Leica] Re: Bokeh vs. Nukeh, WYSIWYG
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 18:34:51 -0700

I simply answered your message after message after message that put down
the use of DOF preview, stating, over and over, ad nauseam:

[AUSTIN] "In 25 years of professional photography, and all the
professionals I know, I don't know any who actually uses the DOF (p)review.
 I'm sure some people do use it, I just don't know any.  Perhaps it's a
Left Coast thing."

[AUSTIN] "Sure it has some use, but how do you determine 'in focus' on the
darkened fringe of the viewfinder of a 35mm camera?  As you say, you can
probably gauge whether it's 'identifiable' or not...but certainly not sharp
focus..."

You were simply babbling from an unknowledgeable position. You do not know
what you are talking about.

Checking critical focus WHILE STOPPED DOWN is indeed the only guaranteed
way to completely control sharpness and/or unsharpness of your photograph.
It is EASY to do, once you learn how and it is taught as the basis of focus
control in real photography schools. Brooks Institute (Santa Barbara CA),
Art Center (LA), and RIT (Rochester NY) and I'm sure many others.

And George Huczek said (thank you George):

[George] "One reason why DOF preview is difficult is because the
groundglass screen darkens so much.  If you wait long enough though, your
eyes will get accustomed to this, just like you can begin to "see" again in
the darkroom under safelight illumination after a few minutes.  I know this
seems obvious enough to most of you reading this, but I have seen too many
photographers at workshops stop down the lens and then glance briefly
through the viewfinder, without allowing their eyes to adjust. It also
helps to use a rubber eyecup over the viewfinder eyepiece, to give your
viewing eye further opportunities to adjust to the lower light levels.
This is akin to using a focusing cloth.  I've found that this is really
important for using DOF preview successfully, whether it be with a 35mm
camera or using larger formats."

So please, Austin, do not continue to make incorrect statements like "you
can probably gauge whether it's 'identifiable' or not...but certainly not
sharp focus..." as it is completely and totally wrong. You should limit
your statements to those things that you actually know something about
rather than ad-libing. There are folks on this list that are just starting
out in photography and they should know the truth as to how things work.
Instead of scaring them off, they should be encouraged to try things and learn.

Jim