Subject: Re: [Leica] Rangefinder Terminology pt2
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 09:30:30 -0600

So we know that small apertures give us small circles of confusion which
makes the image seem to have great depth of focus, things both close and far
appear sharp. Larger apertures do the reverse where only a narrow area is
sharp in the image.

Now lets put it all together! The whole idea of the rangefinder is to place
the object you want focused in the image within the depth of focus of your
lens. It is much harder to do this with a large aperture lens, wide open, so
we use the longest based, highest magnification rangefinder we can. Simple!

Here is a website that explains it all with a little more technical jargon
but, to its credit, has a picture!

http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/m/bodies/rfaccuracy.html

and another picture off of the Leica homepage:

http://www.leica-camera.com/kultur/mythos/innovationen/messsucher/index_e.ht
ml

Now to your specific questions. The M3 has a higher magnification finder
(0.91x lifesize) than the M2 (0.72x lifesize) so focusing is easier. I like
the 0.72 finder as it has the best 35mm frame and that is my most used lens.
The high magnification finders have a 35mm frame that is hard to see or, in
the case of the M3, it does not have a 35mm frame at all. I also have
excellent eyesight so I do not need the extra magnification of the M3 or M6
0.85.

I hope this helps but I sure wish I could have included pictures! Please do
post any questions no matter how simple you think they are. That way you, I
and others, who are too shy, can learn more.

Your circularly and confused,

John Collier