Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh vs. Nukeh
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:23:20 EDT

In a message dated 8/29/00 2:26:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
apbbeijing@yahoo.com writes:

<< my objection is that many people pick up on the
 good or bad reputation of a particular lens's bokeh without either
 understanding what it is nor learning to discern for themselves. That is
 where jargon and unmeasured terms are counterproductive. A bit like awarding
 whiskies a percentage rating: looks scientific, helps sell magazines, makes
 the writer look oh so brainy and expert, affects sales but doesn't have a
 whit to do with enjoying the product. >>

I agree that second-hand expertise can be worse than worthless.  As the old
saying goes, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.  Moreover, the
preachings of a false prophet are far more potentially damaging than a lack
of guidance.  OTOH, it has been wisely observed that it is the height of
foolishness to disregard  the valid experience of others who know whereof
they speak.  The challenge, of course, is to discriminate between the valid
and the invalid, the true and the misleading.  That is, among other reasons,
why I admire the efforts of people like Erwin Puts, who make an earnest and
very substantial effort to maintain not only scientific but intellectual
integrity in their methods of research, analysis and reporting.
I also have subscribed to Consumer Reports for many years.  Decades ago, CR
did a report on compact 35's which rated a certain Minolta lens as superior
to the 40/2 Summicron.  Specific testing and evaluation criteria were not
stated, rendering the evaluation meaningless.  However, I did not cancel my
subscription in protest, nor did I unload my Leica equipment.  After all, I
wouldn't buy a window fan or toaster oven without reading CR first.
Reports of empirical observations from trustworthy and authoritative sources
are far and away the best practical alternative for information gathering in
photography, as they have been since the beginnings of the art, or craft or
science.  That is why I participate in the LUG.
By the way, the household Siamese has always been my test target for
evaluating lenses.  It's the laugh of the processing lab, and my wife begs me
to stop disturbing his sleep.  I can tell you pretty much exactly what Ted is
talking about in terms of resolution of fine detail, at least at the other
end of the equation.  Strangely enough, the out of focus areas, at close
range, can be revealing as well.
On a more important subject, which single malts do you favor?

Joe Sobel