Subject: Re: [Leica] WAS: HCB's inspirational drivel NOW BOKEH again!aaack!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 08:56:52 -0700

Doug Herr  wrote:

> What I want in my photos is the animal with a visual suggestion of it's habitat.  A lens with hard-edged double-line bokeh can produce distracting background areas that compete with the animal for the viewer's attention instead of enhancing the viewer's understanding of the creature and how it lives.  It's one of the reasons I don't use mirror lenses.  The effect was obvious to those who live by the long lens long before the word describing it was introduced to the english language.<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Doug,
I agree completely and that's why I endeavor to shoot wide open or as
near as that as possible, to  eliminate as much visual interference from
out of focus areas around the subject.

At the Leica Seminar in a couple of weeks,  "Shooting Wide Open" is one
of the topics illustrating how wide open is a very effective tool to
enhance ones photography.

However, "bokeh"  don't rate very high in my concerns for good pictures
as a photojournalist, as I'm more concerned the main subject is "cat's
ass sharp" and fills the frame! The bokeh maybe of concern to the art
photographer, this doesn't mean you as you know what I'm talking about.
However, I can't for the life of me see how it makes a whole lot of
difference when one doesn't have any idea what it is.

And even though I'm now aware of it due to LUG posts, it's demised from
my thoughts as fast as the post disappears from the screen!
ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant