Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh Nokeh
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 13:24:34 EDT

In a message dated 8/26/00 8:15:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com writes:

<< Oh so now you don't like HCB! I thought you liked him!
 Are we talking about his photography or his behavior with interviewers? >>

Perhaps I should have been a little more explicit.  I agree with both your
posts.  Although I respect Charlie as an interviewer, and he had obviously
prepared thoroughly, he was clearly in over his head with HCB.  It was some
of the finest entertainment I have ever seen.  The look of disbelief on his
face at the inanity of some of the questions was priceless.
Some of the answers consisted of purely non-verbal communication, including
indulgent smiles, shrugs of the shoulders and shakes of the head.  It
reminded me of the avuncular behavior of some highly knowledgable waiters I
encountered years ago in Paris.  HCB does not suffer fools, but he is no
Brando.  It was all in high good humor, nothing surly or harshly
condescending.  His personality, as it appears, is truly reflected in so much
of his work that for the first time I began to feel that I had some insight
into both.
Again, you should have seen the look on Charlie's face when it was over.
Then HCB broke into a broad grin and called for the wine.  Charlie jumped at
it, and he had truly earned a deep draught.  See if you can get the video.
Th experience is unforgettable.

Joe Sobel