Subject: [Leica] M meter spot - Delhi suggestions
From: "Robert Appleby" <laintal@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 05:26:49 GMT

While like Ted I don't give a hoot about the reflectance of the white spot
on the shutter curtain, I have to say that this big spot business is the
best metering method I've used so far. When I started using the Ms I thought
a smaller spot would be a far better deal, but in fact the ability to select
a large enough area of a scene to get a range of light that more or less
adds up to an average for the exposure you want to make means that it's very
fast and easy to use. I shoot only slide and this meter has given me far
more consistent exposures than any other I've used. It took a while for me
to learn to trust it, but my incident meter hardly ever gets out of the bag
now.
This is one thing about the M cameras I wouldn't like to see changed. In
fact the more I use them and in very difficult lighting conditions, the more
I realise they're just right - for me!

As for what to shoot in Delhi, my first suggestion would be, Sikh
rikshaw-wallahs. But shooting is too good for them.
Photographically, a project I always wanted to do was to photograph the
range of protests going on at Jantar Mantar, from the sublime to the
ridiculous - from tibetan hunger strikers to government drivers on a "relay
fast unto death" (which means they each miss a meal one after the other).
There's always a good range of protesters camped out there, it's very
interesting. Otherwise, Old Delhi, near the Jamia Masjid and Red Fort, is
beautiful and vibrant, chaotic and noisy, something and whatever. You could
do a whole story about pigeon fanciers, for instance, flying their birds off
the roofs of the old town. Just what you want from india.
The rest of delhi is endless suburbs, certainly full of interest, but less
immediate.

Rob.