Subject: Re: [Leica] "B Grade" Leica gear????
From: DonjR43198@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 20:47:34 EDT

In a message dated 8/24/00 7:42:15 PM Central Daylight Time,
austin@darkroom.com writes:

<<  just got off the phone with a camera dealer in California (he was not
 trying to sell me anything) who insists that all camera manufacturers sell
 A grade and B grade equipment...even C and lower grade.

 He claims the B grade is what is sold by the mail order outfits (typically
 called "Gray Market")...and is why they can offer the lower prices.

 The only marking distinction between any of the grades is a sticker on the
 item...and he said these stores just pull the stickers off.  Manufacturers
 will always have some items that don't 'meet spec' and these 'inferior'
 grade products, are what become B grade products, as opposed to fixing
 them, or throwing them away...

 It tees me off that if this is true, the manufacturers don't physically
 mark the products as B grade...  He said Hasselblad sells this grade as
 'demo' equipment...but again, the item it self isn't marked with anything
 but a sticker.  What about the used equipment market, how do you know if
 you are buying an A grade or a B grade?

 It would appear that even new equipment can be 'not so good'...

 What does anyone else know about this?

Good evening:

It is my experience over more than 30 years that this California dealer is
full of prunes or something even more odiferous.  I have and still do use
Leica and Hasselblad equipment purchased from B&H as well as from Cayman
Camera in Grand Cayman and there is no difference in quality.

As we all know, California is the land of fruits and nuts and you got them
both at one stop.