Subject: Re: [Leica] M6-Film transport/Rewind Problems
From: John Brownlow <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 17:45:14 -0400

on 24/8/00 4:56 pm, P2CON@aol.com at P2CON@aol.com wrote:

> Denis writes:
>
> << Reinstalled the film and took the pictures - or so I thought - the film
> had
> never transported! I felt the 'release' from the take up spool as soon as I
> started the rewind. >>
>
> It sounds like you simply did not have the film properly engaged with the
> take-up spool on your second go-around with that film. Most probably your
> initial problem with the rewind was because you ripped the film from the
> canister spool and somehow it jambed when you tried to rewind. You said you
> had to cut the film and pull it from the take-up spool to get it out of the
> camera, so I assume you were able to remove the film canister OK and then
> discover that the film was not attached to the canister spool.

Obvious question:

You do put the baseplate on before winding, don't you? If you don't do this,
you drive yourself completely nuts trying to get the leader to engage. You
can do it, but it craps out in a way not dissimilar to the one you describe.

Less obvious question:

Are you putting the leader too far into the take up spool? If you do THIS
then the results are subtler but also disastrous. The film curls and does
not engage properly with the top sprocket. Clue: where the film crosses the
sprockets you should ALWAYS have cutaway leader. If you are past the leader
then the tail of the film is in too far to the take up spool. The
consequences of this is that the film jams and pulls out of the take up
spool when you try to wind on while you obliviously shoot a full roll and
are then amazed to discover there's nothing to wind back. You then drive
yourself nuts thinking 'but I put it WAY into the take up spool', push it in
even further next time, and the thing keeps happening.

Your film/leader should look EXACTLY like it does on the bottom of the
inside of the camera. It's a real no brainer. If you try to 'improve' on
this in any way, guaranteed disaster.

- --
Johnny 'been there, done that' Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com