Subject: Re: [Leica] white dot and metering
From: "Michael Darnton" <mdarnton@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 16:47:00 GMT

Well, I've been paying less than no attention to this thread, so if
someone's already said this, ignore me. . . .

It doesn't matter what color the dot is--it could even be the black shutter
curtain they used. The important thing to then do is to calibrate the meter
so it gives the right answer, which they do, I guess, since no one's
complaining about really horrible exposures.

So if it isn't for the specific reflectance of the spot, having determined
that this isn't a issue because it can be calibrated out of consideration,
what remains? First, the white dot on a black background allows the meter
cell itself to be non-selective as to the angle it reads--the angle of
coverage of the meter only depends on the size of the spot--the surrounding
black is ignored because it's too dark to make much of a difference. Which
would you suppose is cheaper--to build a cell that reads a specific angle,
and THEN to properly aim it during the assembly process, or to just take a
stock cell off the shelf and put a white spot in the right place on the
shutter curtain? Second, if you wanted to make a meter that read effectively
in the lowest possible light, what color would you use to read off? White,
right?--just the same as the trick of reading off a white paper with a hand
meter in too-dark situations and juggling the exposure appropriately.

- --Michael