Subject: Re: [Leica] b.d.'s planning something dangerous!
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 14:12:07 +1000

Gary Elshaw wrote:

> At 12:01 AM -0700 23/8/2000, Rick D wrote:
> >At times I've found it to be a pain, when
> >taking portraits against the light with me and camera in the sun - need
> >to get a bystander to hold a large plastic box lid between the sun
>
> Hey Rick, that's why those ubiquitous baseball caps were invented!
> Dintcha know, all those cap wearers own flary Leicas! Seriously
> though, a cap can cut a lot of that flare from the rangefinder. I
> think Tom A suggested a post-it note with a hole punched in it, thus
> you minimize the light and still get the framelines.

Hi Gary,

Anyone as bald as me knows all about baseball caps!  'Specially under
this Aussie sky with the big ozone hole.  Most Saturday's I get 'Hey
Mister, why've ya got ya cap on backwards?' to which I reply chillingly
and with a hat removing flourish, 'To stop the rest of my hair falling
out from being cheeky as a kid!'

So many of the kids I photograph look scared ......???  Like Salgado's
shot of the girl with the dirty face, as my neighbour calls it.

Rick