Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 Question
From: Wilber Jeffcoat <jeffcoatphoto@sumter.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:44:45 -0400

Steve: Let me reply to some of your comments about the R-8. This is far from a
Novelty in the SLR world. This is a world class camera with world class optics. If
you will an SLR the marches to the beat of a different drummer. No it is not auto
everything, but I do find the meter to be dead on and with the motor attached it is
one of the quietest SLR's on the market. I've only had mine a little over a year
and in that time I've had NO problems with it at all. The problems that I and some
others have had is with the first run of motors that have hit the market. Yes I had
trouble with my motor and it was replaced very promptly by Leica with no questions
asked. Keep in mind that every major manufacture of 35 mm equipment has it's share
of problems. When the EOS 3 hit this country it is my understand that the first 3
shipments went back for some type of electrical problems, Nikon can not get the
magenta out of it's D1 and the list goes on and on. I think the reason that we have
such a fit when a Leica fails to perform is that for anything that costs in this
area we expect it to be perfect and never to have even the slightest hiccup. I've
shot with everything under the sun, Pentax, Petri, Rollie (their original 35 mm),
Mamyia, Minolta, and Yes Nikon F, F2, F3, and F5 (this, the 5 was  good but at
times would simply just not work, and I had to hold my mouth just right at times to
get the flash to work). With out fail everyone had a quirk or two and some more
than others. In fairness to Leica I have three of their bodies R4s, R7 and R8. The
only one I've had a body problem with was the R7 (bought used and I fear abused)
with a broken wire. I've also had 3 M's (2-M3 DS-which I kick ma ass regularly for
ever letting go of) and an M4 with a viso housing (newspaper days and being young I
had to trade everything I got my hands on). Really I feel it comes down to who you
are and what you feel comfortable and confident with. For myself that would be the
Leica "R" system. Now if we can get Leica to get to work on a 24-120 3.5 zoom I
will be ever so happy. Leica are you listening? Please before I turn "60".
Cheers Wilber