Subject: Re: Vs: Vs: R lens tests (was: Re: [Leica] Re: Why M is so popular?)
From: "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:49:06 -0700

From: "Dan Cardish" <dcardish@microtec.net>

> How many of the cameras that they test are really bad?  When they make
some
> kind of measurement, such as sound levels for a shutter, or when they make
> their equivalent of an MTF diagram for a lens, are their results wrong?
Do
> they lie about particular cameras?
>
> Dan C.

Some magazines such as Pop Photography will return an inferior lens
repeatedly to the manufacturer and request a replacement until they are sent
one that would render results good enough for a favorable report.
But I do recall a negative report (kindly and gently rendered) in Shutterbug
on the Saunders Enlargers by Joseph Dickerson. He criticized the flimsiness
of the column of an otherwise great 4x5 enlarger. The surprising result was
that Saunders redesigned the column.

Joe C.