Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Omega enlarger aligning
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 10:43:33 -0700

Simon-
Omegas are EASY to align!
The simplest procedure is to:
First- level the baseboard- with cardboard shims or paper. Use one of the
little levels that have the bubble vials at 90 degree angles, and are
cheaply available at most home inprovement stores!
Once the base board is level, then you worry about making the head level
with respect to the base board.
This is done by opening the negative carrier stage- and putting the bubble
level on the stage- actually on the corner since it may be too thick to go
in too far.
Orient the vials so one buble shows you the level forward and back, and the
other shows it side to side.

The Omega's head runs up and down on the column with a set of 'wheels' on
both side of the column, and with a pair of wheels on the upper outside and
inside, and a pair on the lower inside and outside- 8 in all.
If you look at the side of the enlarger, at the rear, you see that the
weight of the head is born on two rollers on the outside of the column- in
the back. There is a shaft that goes between these rollers, and it should
have a small hole in it. It is just big enough to insert a small 1/16" allen
wrench into! This will give you leverage to turn the shaft. The screws at
the end are drilled and tapped off center- so loosen them until the shaft
turns easily.
Then, by rotating the shaft, you will notice that the head, actually the
negative stage, will tilt forward and back as you turn- simply turn until
the fore- and aft buble is centered, and then re-tighten the screws on the
end of the shaft.
The side to side adjustment is controlled by four screws on the sides of the
column- each with a small locknut- you can see that there is an upper and
lower on each side of the haed carriage. By loosening the locknuts, you can
adjust the side-to-side tilt of the head. So if you want the head totilt ot
rotate slightly to the right, you tighten the upper righthand screw and
loosen the lower lefthand one. Conversely, if you want it to tilt to the
left, you tighten the upper left, and loosen the lower right. None should be
so tight as to bind the column, but just snug enough so that the column
raises and lowers easily.
When the head is parallel to the baseboard, tighten the locknuts carefully
and remove the shims- even is the baseboard is not perfectly level at this
time, the head is at least parallel to the baseboard, and that is what is
important. If you are really paranoid about the whole shooting match being
level, then the feet under the baseboard can be replaced with some
adjustable ones- again readily available at your local home-improvement
store!
Good Luck, and best of light to you!
Dan