Subject: [Leica] Re: Why M is so popular?
From: Brougham <brougham3@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 05:11:29 -0700 (PDT)

"Terry Sham" <tsham@netvigator.com> wrote:

> Many people are using M. Many people want to buy M. Many books and
> magazines talk about M. Unfortunately, I want to buy a R. Why M is
> more pupular than R? Am I right to buy a R?

You are right to buy whatever you want.

There have been very few competitors to the M.  That's starting to
change with the Konica Hexar.  But quality rangefinders are few and
far between.  On the other hand, there are many SLRs out there.  I
have a Nikon SLR system that I'm happy with.  Personally, I see no
reason to get an R...yet.  (Never say never. :)  I bought into Leica
because I wanted a rangefinder.  The expense of replacing my existing
SLR system with an R system wouldn't be worthwhile to me now.  Of
course, I only have one lense for my M.  After that system is
complete, who knows?

I have almost the best of both worlds.  If I want to use a
rangefinder, I pull out my M.  If I want to use longer lenses, I pull
out my Nikon.  My most used lens is my 80-200/2.8 zoom.  I'd need to
shell out $7400 for a new R body + 70-180/2.8.  I'd much rather have
another 4 lenses for my M.

If I wanted the ultimate in image quality from an SLR, I'd go for an
R.  I don't.  I want the ultimate in image quality from a camera that
I'm more inclined to carry around with me.  A big SLR doesn't fit that
bill.  Pick the right tool for the job.  You can't go wrong with
either system.  And you can't go wrong with Canon or Nikon, either.