Subject: Re: [Leica] Tele extender for 70-180mm f2.8 Apo Vario-Elmarit
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 16:36:32 -0700

Phong wrote:

> I have used the 70-180mm f2.8 for about six months now
> (It's my one and only R lens), and wonder what the
> choices are for tele extenders (both 1.4x and 2.0x).
> Any comment, anecdote, suggestion, warning, about this
> topic is appreciated.<<<<<<<<<<<

Phong,

You can't use the 1.4 extender with it due to the rear element design of
the zoom.  However, the 2X is just jim dandy and I used mine with the
70-180 quite often with excellent results.

As far as close-up lenses I'm not sure they're available. But I did use
the macro adapter many times, even though leica did their usual techie
thing of, "we do not recommend it!"  Unfortunately they never tell you
why they don't recommend it and that is one of the failings that really
ticks me off.  When their technical people make statements of that
nature, they never tell you why!

But when you try it and find it works very well, once you get the feel
of the lens action and excellent results are showing on film, I have
learned not to listen to them and just be very careful applying
extenders, macro adapters and any other pieces the technical people tell
you not to do.

And until they start telling regular users on the street why not to do
it, I wont hold their credibility in very high order.  If I do try
something and break it! ?  OOPS!  I pay to get it fix, but at least I've
firmly learned what can and can't be done and why.

So get the 2X and away you go quite happily shooting with your newly
acquired 140-360 zoom lens! :-)
ted