Subject: Re: [Leica] David Alan Harvey Workshop
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 08:47:27 -0700

Paul Chefurka wrote:

> >1) "Simplify...one camera, one lens, one film".
> >2) "Just take the f*****g picture".
>
> I'm going to print those out in 20-point font and put them in the top of my
> camera bag where I can see them every time I go to shoot.  They stike me to
> be as close to a perfect manifesto as I've ever read.<<<<<<<<<

Hi Paul,
Might be a good point for a number of LUGNUTS to follow, as it seems
there is always this "too much thinking prior to pushing the button! "

DAH: Has the right idea, just take the "f......g photo" Too many people
go through a "pre visualizing process that by the time they've figured
out what the image is going to look like the moment is long gone.  if
you're motivated shoot as quickly as possible that which motivates you
and edit on the light table or in darkroom later.

If you're screwing around thinking about exposure?  which lens? and a
the myriad of other techie things some folks go through, the light has
changed, the "exciting moment" is long gone.

It should be "see it, motivated, shoot!" Move on!  And by the way, you
can still be fast even with three M's hanging on your neck simply
because you learn instinctively which camera and lens to swing to your
eye after some practice, so it isn't always necessary to be successful
to only work with one camera and one lens.

However, having said that, it is a thing to do for self improvement for
any photographer to practice as a refresher, to actually shoot an
assignment with, "one camera and lens!" That's when you discover just
how good you are if you come away with a very successful shoot!
Certainly sharpens the eye.
ted