Subject: [Leica] What's the M-Rokkor Story ?
From: "William Gower" <wgower@eco-tec.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 09:07:35 -0400

Hi Folks

Back on the list after a brief hiatus.

Searching for a sharp, inexpensive lens for I can leave on my (newly
acquired) second body (thanks LUG'er Robert J), I have a question regarding
the 40mm F2 that comes in 3 flavours:

The 40mm F2 Summicron
The 40mm F2 M-Rokkor for the CL
and, the 40mm F2 M-Rokkor for the CLE

I took a quick / brief look at cameraquest.com and read that the CLE version
had the traditional Leica cam and, therefore, would be the most compatible
with a M. But what about the actual optics ? Camaeraquest notes that the CLE
version is multi-coated and may have an improved optical formula. What about
the Summicron ?

Is the Summicron German made and the Rokkor's Japanese ? Or where they both
built in German and only marketed differently ? I don't want to ask "which
is the best", but what are people's experience with the Leica 40mm ? Good,
bad ? Sharp ? Contrast ?

So many questions...

I do like the 40mm focal length. (My experience has been with the 40 Sonnar
on the Rollei 35s).

Thanks !

Replies: Reply from william@penbex.com.tw (William) (Re: [Leica] What's the M-Rokkor Story ?)