Subject: RE: [Leica] BW developments
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 16:57:17 -0700

If you were to use Tmax ASA 100 would you expect similar results?
What happened to the Plus X?  Is the result also behind PanF and D100?
Is there any linkage between Tgrain films and results or woould the results
be the same if HP5+ and FP4+ ewere used with TriX and Plus X?  ( I am not
trying to fingerprint films, but interested only in the data as Erwin plut
is out to us..... and upon our own personal use habits....I prefer older
film technology....)

DD-X is a C41 type developer?  IF so,,,, then.....Are the results at all
affected by the use of basic C41 soup?  vs maybe D76 or other traditional
B+W developer?

Excellent summary report......more reason to get the 21 ASPH...
oh... please excuse that outburst.....I did not mean it, really Wife, I
didn;t   .....

Thanks again Erwin for keeping the data and the myths in separate camps.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Erwin said with some editing ........

Another myth went down. I used Ilford films PanF+, D100, D400 (to be
replaced at Photokina by a newer emulsion called 400D!) and D3200. Also in
the line was Kodak PlusX,

At 12 times enlargement, the PanF, the D100 are in a class
of their own, with the PanF having slightly finer grain.
Here we see
outstandingly good reproduction of details and tone values, the resolution
of the system surpassing 100lp/mm on the negative. The often discussed three
dimensional close-to-life- quality is very visible.

At ISO400, the image
quality drops significantly, but the sharpness impression is very high, but
deceptively so. The life-like impression is gone and the image is flat.
lacking depth and detail. But tonal quality is very good. At ISO1600 this
impression is even stronger, no detail rendition, and again a flatter image,
with good tonal range.

It is evident, that the finer points of the quality of Leica lenses are
mostly lost when using ISO speeds at 400 and over.

The potential quality of the combo Leica and 100ISO BW will indeed intrude
into H'blad territory.

Erwin