Subject: Re: [Leica] Film x-ray protection bags
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 15:49:48 -0700

Wilber Jeffcoat wrote:

> Ted this is excellent info. When I last did a trip to Germany, I put all my
> exposed and unexposed film in round Tupperware containers (kept these in the
> top of my camera bag) at the check station I would open the Tenba, ask for a
> hand inspection of the film and let them run the bag through the machine.<<<<<<<<<

Hi Wilber,
That's what I do also. If you put the film out right away and shove the
bag to go through without hesitation, 99% of the time security is OK
with that and will look at the film and pass it over without going
through the machine.

with a commuter
> in Colorado. On the hope up to Durango they let me keep the bag on the floor
> between my feet. Not a word. On the way back they had a fit and I had my bag
> taken from me and put in the baggage compartment. I know she was doing her job,
> but that is the last flight I do with those folks. Any thoughts on this (I did
> buy a smaller bag, but it's one body and 2 lens and that's it.<<<<<<<<<

With the commuters we have around here, they have a baggage cart as you
are boarding the plane and if you put your hand bags on it as you get
on, they are hand loaded into the baggage compartment so they can be
quickly removed and waiting on a similar little cart as you come off.
It's very efficient and I've yet to have a problem at any time with this
method, makes life much easier on the plane as most of these aircraft
are a might small and not much room.

However, I've had the same experience as yourself with the "stews,"
some are more lenient than others and they'll take your bag put it in
the "loo" until airborne and then give it back. But the hand baggage
cart is the easiest if you fly with them again if they use this method.
I rarely carry any bags into the small aircraft on short hops.

Besides not much you can shoot by having the bag at your feet if the
plane crashes, as it's usually a complete wipe out in any event!  ;-)

ted

Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Film x-ray protection bags)
Message from Wilber Jeffcoat <jeffcoatphoto@sumter.net> (Re: [Leica] Film x-ray protection bags)