Subject: [Leica] LUG rules
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 10:13:27 -0700

My principle for the LUG is to ask for whatever rules are necessary to
keep discussion centered on photography with Leica and rangefinder
cameras.

Although I do not have strong feelings one way or the other about this
issue of LUG and eBay, it is clear to me that many members do, and that
their feelings are strong enough to generate discussion. We need a rule
not to curtail behavior but to curtail discussion.

I sell things on eBay; I do not consider myself a crass person. I may
even have mentioned it on the LUG when I was selling my Canon P on
eBay. I honestly don't remember. If I did it, no lightning bolt came
down on my head.

Any rules that are added here will exist not to condemn people who do
this, but to keep the discussion focused on cameras instead of on
condemnation.

I find it hard to draw the line amongst
 Person A, who tells us that he is selling X on eBay
 Person B, who tells us that his camera store is selling X
 Person C, who reminds us that he makes and sells Xes

I just bought two bottles of fabulously wonderful lens cleaner from
someone who used the LUG to tell me of its existence; if he had not
used the LUG to announce that it was for sale, I would never have known
about it. I really don't see how to differentiate between, say, eBay
and small businesses like the ones that Tom and Joe run; I've never
heard anybody complain about either of those guys.

But other people seem to have no problems drawing this line. I think I'd like
to add this rule to the LUG etiquette guidelines:

"Please do not use the LUG to publicize activities at public commerce
 sites such as eBay. We all know how to look there if we are interested,
 and if we are not interested, we don't want to read about it here. If
 you are a shopkeeper or a manufacturer and you believe that your wares
 are of value to the LUG members, you may from time to time remind us of
 the existence of your business."

Brian Reid