Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica 1 or How I bought Leicas and lived to tell about it
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 15:32:45 -0700

> Ted said . . . May I suggest the following as a remedy to purchase.   just
eat one good meal a day and in the event you smoke and drink, stop both of
those activities, save the money and soon you'll be able to stop drooling
and buy that extra lens. ;-)

Ted - how right you are! When I was studying in Germany and working in
Sweden (for about $1.20 per hour) in 1967, I scrimped on everything but
Leicas. By the middle of the year and a half, with some careful used
shopping, I was the proud owner of two M2's and four lenses - 28 Elmarit, 35
Summicron, 50 Elmar, and 90 Elmar. I remember eating a lot of bread and
cheese, staying only at youth hostels when on the road, and living in old,
cold-water Stockholm apartments that were due to be condemned as soon as I
moved out. None had baths or showers, so I splurged on the public sauna
bath-house once a week, whether I needed it or not!

I still marvel at what good sense I had as a mere lad of 21. The once a week
bath may have had something to do with also keeping a fairly  low-cost
social life!

Regards,
Gary Todoroff
Tree LUGger