Subject: Re: Vs: Vs: [Leica] 50mm lens: now "-M"
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 20:33:00 -0600

If a lens has a "-M" it is indeed newer than a similar lens which does not,
but, it is not necessarily the latest and greatest. It was strictly a
cosmetic design change. The Noctilux has had the same optical formula since
1976 and later ones have the "-M" while earlier ones do not. The 90/2.8
Tele-Elmarit (thin 1973-1989) also "earned" a "-M" at the end of its life.
The 35/1.4 (non-asph) even attained "-M"dom at the end (though I heard that
it had to rewrite the test several times and finally the examiners had to
close their eyes when the lens was at f1.4 for it to get through!). One lens
that never made the grade was the 35/1.4 Aspherical (1990-1994) so they are
available cheap! ;-)

John Collier