Subject: RE: [Leica] Some ideas for a new R
From: Peterson Arthur G NSSC <PetersonAG@NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 12:37:24 -0400

Chuck,

I must disagree---not that I really know, of course, but we're just talking
opinions here.  Leica has long tried to make lower cost (relatively
speaking) bodies available.  If I recall, there were lower cost, less fully
featured screwmount models; there was the M2 after the M3; there was the CL;
there was the R4S (or was it R4S2?) after the R4; and there was the R-E
after the R5.  In other words, they have a long history of trying to offer
lower priced models by reducing size, features, complexity, or whatever,
while maintaining high quality.  And based on these many examples of
attempted price reductions, I cannot imagine that they are selling the R6.2
at a "ripoff" price, but rather only at a price required to make a profit
(the objective of all business) after covering the production costs for a
very high quality camera.

The R6.2 is not different in this regard from any other Leica---the R8 or
the M6---and if you think the R6.2 is a "ripoff," then those other cameras
must be that too.  So then why remain a Leica user?

Finally, where a camera or lens is made is irrelevant.  I've heard nothing
but good reports about the current zooms made for Leica by Sigma, and I know
from personal experience that the Leica CL and the 35-70/3.5 zoom both made
for Leica by Minolta were very high quality items (yes, I know the CL was
not as rugged and heavy-duty as an M camera, but its purpose was to be light
and convenient).  All those items demonstrate that when Leica has someone
else build something, they don't carelessly ignore its quality or market a
"ripoff," but rather insist that it measures up to Leica's standards.

Art Peterson