Subject: Re: [Leica] R vs R
From: Douglas Herr <doug@nualumni.com>
Date: 7 Aug 2000 05:08:25 -0700

On Mon, 07 August 2000, Peter Zak wrote:

> I miss macro stuff - so I'm thinking of an R with a 60 mm Elmarit Macro
> lens.
>
> Any feedback on the R's.....R4, R4s, R5, R6, R7.....which is the one to get,
> which to avoid (if any) all feedback welcome.
>
> Much as I admire the R8 - I refuse to ever again carry THAT much camera (ex
> F4s owner).
>
> Regards,
>
> PZ.

If you've ruled out the R8, the R7 (for electronic) or R6.2 (for mechanical) are quite good.  The R4sP (electronic) is also very reliable, but doesn't have have all the features of the newer R bodies, like diopter adjustment, TTL flash, 1/2000 sec shutter speed.  My personal favorite is the Leicaflex SL, an old mechanical model with limited (by today's standards) features, but has an unbeliveable bright and contrasty viewfinder and is built to last a lifetime.  Comparing the SL and R4sP, I'd much rather use the SL with the 60 macro mostly because of the viewfinder.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
Visit the Northwestern Alumni Association portal
page at http://www.nualumni.com  to get free
web-based e-mail and many other exciting features.