Subject: [Leica] Road-trip or The Summer of LUG (Word of warning: Long!)
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 02:19:49 EDT

 There are various reasons for leaving the comforts of home and set out on a
drive of a couple of 1000s of miles. In our case it was a combination of a/
not having seen friends along the West Coast for a while and b/ having just
gotten the first of the prototypes of the RapidGrip finished and needing to
field-test them and c/ the occurrence of the first Photo San Francisco Show.
Any of these reasons are valid and needs no further justification. The old
Chrysler 5th Avenue was filled up, air-conditioning was declared functional,
cameras and films selected and off Tuulikki and I went. As usual we stopped
off with our friends in Portland, ate well, and listened to our godson's
experience of spending 3 weeks on a US Navy research vessel looking at
thermal vents in the Pacific. Obviously the situation was critical when the
ship ran out of coffee towards the end. Navy Intelligence is obviously not
that good. The scientific crew was mainly from the West Coast and they must
have been oblivious to the fact that NOTHING operates here without coffee! To
keep it on the LUG line, Jeff, our godson has had a M3 with a 50DR since he
was 14 (he is now 25). I gave it to him as a birthday present and it has a
prototype chrome Rapidwinder on it and yes, he uses it still and very well
too.
 After Portland we slid down the I-5 and stopped overnight at Mount Shasta.
This is a storybook mountain. Perfect cone with snow on it, visible for miles
and it just looks right, a true designer mountain! After a long hot drive we
ended up at Ed's place outside Sacramento. Ed Popejoy is a fellow LHSA member
and photographer/cinematographer with enough knowledge about both subjects to
keep conversation going until the wee hours in morning. He is also a very
good cook and host as well as an avid collector of photobooks. There are
always some moments that stand out after a trip. Sitting on Ed's back-porch
watching his neighbour take off over our heads in a biplane is one of the
moments. Of course Ed has his own plane and airstrip, but we stuck to more
conventional transportation for the breakfast at Bangor Café. Best pancakes
around, none of this wimpy low-fat stuff. Real butter, bacon and big fluffy
pancakes. So what if it shortens ones life with a year or two!
Onward to San Francisco and Peter Choy, LUG dinner, and Photo SF. For four
days  the three of us talked photography, Leicas and more photography (and
more Leicas!) Peter is a very genial host and as our time was somewhat
limited down there, sleep depravation was the name of the game. Subjects
ranged far and wide, who is good, who is bad, is Walker Evans over valued,
are M3's better than M2's and how come the light in Peter's Focomat 1C would
not come on after I assembled it (and would Peter's wife force him to remove
it from the dining-room table when she came home!). Of course no final
answers could be given as this would prohibit us from further discussions.
Well, the 1C suffered from a loose wire in the lamp housing and I assume
Peter moved the enlarger later).
 The Saturday LUG dinner was great. Peter organised it with great skill and
supplied a large box of wine to the occasion. The food was very good, just in
case we tested it the night before! The 24 LUGgers and family were certainly
not shy and quiet. Of course there were enough Leica's floating around in
there to cheer up any LUGger. At one time I had 7-8 M's in front of me and
Bryan Caldwell's picture is proof - and that was only at one table! Black
M2's, M3's, M4-Mots' M4-P (=Tuulikki's), M6's, etc. Bryan had a black paint
M3, a Shintaro paint job and when I looked at the camera I recognised it as
one that I had passed on to Shintaro early on when we were testing
paint-finishes. Bryan had picked it up in Tokyo last year. The Leica-world is
indeed rather small!
  I always consider the measure of a successful gathering being how long you
hang out outside the restaurant afterwards. Several of us stood in the wet,
foggy SF evening for another hour and discussed life and the pursuit of the
perfect neg. and other subjects essential to LUGgers.
 Prior to the LUG-dinner we had visited the Photo SF exhibition. This is a
show for dealers trading in photographic prints. It is a bit unnerving
standing there leafing through a rack of photos and realising that these are
original Atget, Brassai, Weston, Cartier-Bresson and Eugene Smith prints that
you are looking at. As with any show of this magnitude, there is stuff there
that you like and some stuff you just don't understand, but it certainly was
worth the effort to see it.
 Sunday we played tourists, went to Golden Gate Park and took pictures, had
dinner with Peter and his neighbours and as we were leaving the next day, it
was late before we got to bed. Tuulikki remarked that what was truly amazing
was that in 4 days in the city, Peter and I only managed to spend about an
hour and half in camera-stores and we did not buy anything (well, I did pick
up some more batteries for my M6TTL, what else is new!)
 Monday morning we left for Eureka and Tree-LUGger Gary Todoroff. Gary,
Joanne, and daughter Clara plied us with salmon and other goodies and Gary
and I only spent a couple of hours discussing cameras (probably a new record
for us!) Maybe it could have something to do with the fact that we sat at the
same table at the Saturday LUG dinner and already covered some of this
subject. Possible, but highly unlikely knowing Gary and me!
 After Eureka, up along California 101 - after Highway 1 - one of the great
roads in the world, although in the summer it is packed with campers and
motor-homes lumbering along at a snail's pace. Another overnighter in
Portland where I performed an important scientific experiment and on
Wednesday we were back in Vancouver. The RapidGrip was tested and found fine,
although I probably need to test it a bit more extensively in Europe in
September. Our cat, Barnack, has been loudly explaining to us the extreme
hardship he has suffered in our absence. Only two people taking turns feeding
him, petting him and spoiling him while we were gone. This is unendurable
hardship and he is still letting us know about it!
 First of all  a special thanks to Peter for organising the LUG-dinner and
supplying the wine, as well as putting us up for several nights and in
particular for the content in the wooden box! And it was great to meet and
put faces to the LUGgers in California. Thanks to Ed for showing us that
there is life east of SF too and for providing the best steaks I have had for
a loong, loong time. It is one thing being able to contact each other at the
stroke of a key on the computer, but nothing beats sitting around a table,
eating and drinking for an evening. Of course it was particularly fun to
convince Godfrey DiGiorgi to try out a Rapidwinder too!
As we always say, nothing beats a good roadtrip and this one was among the
best.

OK, for those who are wondering about the scientific experiment? I am an
occasional sufferer from something known as "Cluster-Headaches" or
Cluster-Migraines. These are debilitating headaches of nuclear proportions.
The attacks come every 4-6 hours and last for up to 2 hours and this sequence
goes on for 2-3 months. Fortunately these headaches only occur every 7-8
years, but 2000 was one of these years. Some might have noticed that I have
been absent, or restrained my self to short messages on the LUG. This has to
do with the strain on the eyes when reading and writing on the
computer-screen. Luck had it that this time my local doctor found some new
medication that seems to have a/lessened the severity of the attacks and b/
shortened the duration of period of attacks to the all-time short time of 9
weeks. One of the conditions of this malady is that red wine, chocolate,
certain cheeses can trigger these attacks or increase the severity of them.
Peter gave us some extremely nice bottles of red wine when we left SF and as
I had not had any feeling of headache for the last 3-4 days I decided to try
and see if it was over. The experiment was a success. The headaches are gone
and further testing with Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream
has confirmed the diagnosis. One advantage in getting older is that the
frequency of these headache periods is further and further apart. It used to
be every 2-3 years and over the last 17-18 years it has decreased
drastically. If I am really lucky, the next attack period will coincide with
Leica's first Digital M camera-back (the working version).
 It is now obvious that I can write long missives and stare at a
computer-screen again so I declare myself back in good working shape!
All the best,
Tom A