Subject: RE: [Leica] why buy old stuff? (was "notoriously crappy" lens)
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 17:06:35 -0400

Well, let me p--s off a bunch of folks....IF money is the issue, then using
the old screw mount bodies and lenses to get into Leica photography makes an
enormous amount of sense - having been there myself :-)....But, if money is
not the issue, and serious photography is, I find myself asking, why use the
old stuff, other than to own say, a single body and lens with which to
"play" once and a while. There are myriad reasons why the M bodies were
developed, likewise why the newer lenses were refined and developed. If the
goal is to buy the best tools for the job, then it's hard to understand how
a III with a 1949 collapsible Elmar is ever the "best tool," unless, of
course you are trying to produce photos that look as though they were taken
prior to the Korean War....

And now I'll log off for a while..;-)

B. D.