Subject: [Leica] Trip report
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 17:09:29 -0400

Hi, Lugnuts -

I'm back from the Mosquito Coast and wanted to report that the Pelican case
carrying my Leicas worked perfectly.  Even though the pressure dial was
lost sometime in the first couple of days, the case kept all of the
moisture and dust away from my M6's and R6.2.  Of course, the problem with
that is that you can't take photos while the cameras are in a case!  I was
in a dugout canoe for a total of 27 hours during which it poured rain -
monsoon style - with lightening, rapids and whitewater.  We sat on sticks
across the canoe and shivered in the cold rain (I never expected to be cold
in the Mosquito Coast!)  Once we got to the village of Tukrun, I got out my
Leicas and spent the days translating for the medical clinics and taking
photos.  I've never seen so much mud in my life.  We asked why the mud had
rainbow colors like motor oil and were informed that it was a tropical
fungus.  I'm still scratching.

I haven't edited the photos yet, but I think I probably used the M6 and
35/1.4 and the R6.2 with the 60 Macro more than anything else.  I tried
using some Kodak Supra film as an experiment in scanning, but so far am
disappointed.  The TMax 400 and Provia F look much better.

Have to get some photos back to Honduras today by e-mail.  It's amazing to
be in a place so remote that there is no communication except short-wave
radio for emergencies - no roads, no telephones, no television, no
electricity, no cell-phones!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com