Subject: RE: [Leica] Street photography
From: "Bob Walkden" <bobwalkden@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 23:40:30 BST

Hi,

>misrepresenting themselves. And I don't know, by the way, that I would
>classify traveling with a tourist visa in that category. Traveling with a
>tourist visa is simply failing to wear a signboard reading journalist.

If they're travelling on a tourist visa they're doing it for a good reason,
and generally that's so that the authorities don't know they've entered the
country as journalists.

When a journalist enters a country on business using a tourist visa he is
saying to the (usually self-appointed) authorities "I am a tourist". How is
this different to me saying to the (usually self-appointed) authorities at a
demo "I am a journalist"?

>tell you from personal experience at The Washington Post and Newsday that
>all journalists, investigative or otherwise, were always told never to
>misrepresent themselves. They were not told, however, that they had to
>advertise themselves. :-)

Frankly I'd be amazed if anybody took that seriously. I'd bet that even the
people doing the telling always have their fingers crossed. When a camera
crew travels incognito into a place like Afghanistan to film secretly
they're not doing it without the knowledge and backing of their editors.

Cheers,

Bob