Subject: [Leica] Canadian Leica Service top class!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 17:52:09 -0700

Hi Guys & Gals,
I believe this note is more important for the Canadian Leica brethren
regarding the new distributor for Leica Lisle Kelco in Toronto.

I had a small glitch of some kind in my original first run 1996 R8, I
know I've championed this particular camera right from the time it came
out of the box Dec 1- '96 as the perfect R8!

However, while shooting a baseball tournament a week a go it came to a
screaming gear stripping halt. Like I mean gear stripping halt in the
motor & body, a screeching sound the likes you never want to hear coming
from the inside of any camera or motor drive!  At first I thought the
guts had been ripped out of the body by the motor, but it was the gears
striping in the motor doing major damage as well as some weird things to
the electronics of the body, creating flashing lights and frame counter!

I responded with, "Oh gee whiz I think it's broke!" ;-) Now I did, well
a version of that befitting the demise of the camera and motor!

So off it went to Lisle Kelco in Toronto the Canadian Leica distributor
and service centre.  I received a phone call the next day about the
motor, indeed it was the motor big time and there was a new one
replacing it, while the "eccentric R8" with flashing numbers seemed to
be working OK.

BUT!  because it was one of the first off the assembly line R8 model's
they were replacing it with a brand new camera with all the up to date
internal modifications to eliminate any potential of an electronic
malfunction sometime in the future!

Now I don't know how one could receive better Leica service than that!
So Leica Users of Canada  breathe easy, we are in good hands in this
country with fine service available from Lisle Kelco! Just thought that
LUG/LEG Leica users might find this a good service story about Leica for
a change.

ted